Do Not Be Like The Rest Of The World

By: D. A. Slinkard

How do some people achieve more than what others do? Have you ever taken the time to think why some people are able to be successful while others are just barely getting by? If I could tell you how you could achieve everything you desire in life, would I have your attention? Sometimes we end up getting things we did not want all because we were not clear on what actions we needed to take to obtain our desired goal or result.

Many times, bad things happen to good people simply because they are not able to react fast enough to what is happening in their life. Businesses go under because the employees are not able to sell products fast enough in quantities great enough to keep the creditors at bay. To find success in life, a person needs to learn how to take the right amount of action to achieve their desired results.

There was a study conducted by the Napoleon Hill Institute which suggests that over 95% of the entire world population are going about their daily lives without a single purpose. I was completely surprised by this number when I read this statistic, but then I quickly understood why the richest 1% of the world have as much wealth as the remaining 99% totaled.

This article is about finding the ability to separate yourself from the pack of people who have no purpose in life. I could not imagine waking up, going to work, coming home, going to bed, getting up the next day, and doing the same cycle repeatedly. This is monotonous and is no way to live; yet we have so many people living this way. How do we avoid this lifestyle? We must seek and find our purpose in this life while we can. We have no idea how long we are here for; but when it is our time to go, it is our time to go. Why not find some purpose while you are here?

To find your purpose requires some honesty within yourself and doing a little digging to uncover what matters to you. I have developed a list of questions that I like to go to when I feel my life drifting in the wrong direction. When answering these questions, you will want to take your time, be thorough, be accurate, and be deliberate. People do not achieve great things because they are rushing through life to get to the next day. The questions you want to answer are as follows:

  1. Decide what your definite purpose in life is.
  2. Write out a clear statement of this purpose.
  3. How will you obtain the object of your purpose?
  4. Create an accountability group of like-minded individuals, which is also known as a “mastermind” group, to help you achieve your goals.

You have two options when it comes to answering these questions: You can fly through them and see how quickly you complete the assignment, which will have you walking away feeling much the same way you did prior to the exercise. You will rush through it and miss the entire purpose, seeing no benefit. The alternative way to handle this is to take some time to really reflect upon the questions and be sincere in answering them. I say sincere because after all, this is your future self you are writing this for. This exercise is for who you will become, not for who you are in this very moment. The hardest part is truly finding what that definite purpose in life is because we have too many external factors that dictate what we think we should be going after. Your definite purpose in life only holds meaning for you. It holds no weight for your parents, for your spouse, for your brother or sister, just you. Be honest with yourself when you write out the answers to these questions.

You want to write the answer to the first question and keep it in a place you will see every day. You need daily affirmation of what your purpose is to help achieve it. You will want to utilize your mastermind group to help you stay on course. You want to allow them to help guide you back on track when you get lost along the journey. You will find your true self when you find your definite purpose; and in doing so, you will separate yourself from the other 95%. Be willing to do what others will not.

By: D. A. Slinkard

D.A. Slinkard would love your feedback. You can contact him at